Church of the Holy Innocents - 1841
The following information was provided via research done by
Marilynn K Smith in the 1980's....and Georgia Wallace in 2005.
Robert Walter Weir, a renowned artist and Professor of Art and Drawing at West Point from 1834 to 1876, along with a few other Christians, including General Chief of the Army (General Winfield Scott) were concerned that the village of Fallsville (Buttermilk Falls, and now Highland Falls) had no proper place of worship. The little village was composed of mostly laborers who depended on the wants of the academy. This Christian group wanted to furnish the villagers and especially their children with means of a proper Christian education. The efforts of this small group of men brought forth the Church of the Holy Innocents.
Click here for continued history
United Methodist Church of the Highlands
The United Methodist Church of the Highlands was originally the First Presbyterian Church of Highland Falls. It is located on Main Street in the village, and is one of many built during the early to late 1800's.
The First Presbyterian Society was incorporated October 12, 1830 with William Howe, of Buttermilk Falls, Samuel Spencer of West Point and Peter Meeks of West Grove as trustees. It was decided to erect two churches for the better convenience of the separate settlements, one near Buttermilk Falls, and the other in the Fort Montgomery section. These churches were open to other denominations under certain regulations. In 1850 the society was reorganized tinder the name of "The First Presbyterian Church of the Highlands." The following trustees were then chosen: David Parry, Cornelius Nelson, Charles P. Smith, Alexander Mearns, and John M. Hall. The Rev. E. P. Roe, the famous novelist, who then lived on his fruit farm in Cornwall, was the pastor of this church for several years, being succeeded by Rev. Mr. Williams.
Of Historic Interest
First Methodist Church at Fort Montgomery
The above photo may be of the First Methodist Church at Fort Montgomery. The building doesn't look that old, so information regarding location and/or actual photos will have to be confirmed. The First Methodist Church at Fort Montgomery was incorporated January 11, 1831, with the following trustees: Thomas Potter, Ebenezer Bull, Michael Jaquish, Hiram Tyler and Silas Rockwell. A comfortable house of worship was built soon afterward.
First Methodist Church at Buttermilk Falls
The First Methodist Church at Buttermilk Falls began its career March 4, 1845, with Andrew Swim, David Parry, James Thackara, Charles P. Smith and Wright Dusenbury as trustees. But for some reason the society disbanded soon afterward and the members united with other churches.
The present Methodist Church at the Falls came into existence some years later, and it continues in a flourishing condition.
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church - 1882 or 1875
The following information has been provided
from the archives of Sacred Heart Parish.
BLESSED SACRAMENT CHAPEL
ROUTE 9W, FORT MONTGOMERY, NY
St John AME Zion Church
We are presently looking for historical information regarding St. John's.
Photos and history are requested.
St. Marks Baptist Church